Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Museums are one of my passions, and naturally books are another.  Today those worlds collided at the Museum of London.  I am currently reading Bernard Cornwell's Stonehenge: A Novel of 2000 BC.  The Museum of London shows the history of the city in chronological order, and I spent much of my time there today viewing artifacts from that era.  When I saw the skeletons of the people and animals and touched replicas of pots they made (the originals were there under glass), the book came more to life for me.

The remains of a wall outside the museum mark the boundary of the roughly one square mile that once comprised the whole of this city.  I could probably spend the entire three weeks I will be here just exploring that small area. 

At St. Paul's cathedral I learned much from a superb tour guide who was also quite friendly.  I was able to share some details from my visit to the Crimea with her.  The Crimea holds special significance for the British because of their military sacrifices there, and is a tourist destination for them.  These past few days have reinforced my belief that education and travel are two of the best uses of time and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment